I finished another project this week, and I have to admit, the results are not quite as good as I hoped. So I thought I'd share what I learned to help me remember not to make the same mistakes again, and maybe save someone else from the same errors.
I have some big, square feather pillows from Ikea that needed covering, so I had an idea to do some big appliqué flowers.
I used a heavy linen for the cover, and quilter's cotton for the flowers. When I finished stitching up my cover, I put it on the pillow, and it was okay, but seemed a little stiff. I also think I could have made the flowers a little bigger. So I thought I'd try washing it, to soften it up a little, but it turns out the linen I used shrank more lengthwise than widthwise. So now my pillow is more of a rectangle. The flowers bunched up a little too. Petey, however, is indifferent to the pillow.
So, what I learned:
- Pre-wash all my fabric
- Try a little harder to keep the appliqué fabrics smooth, so they don't get bunched up
- Make the flowers bigger in proportion to the pillow
Also, perhaps I should not write boring blog posts while still grumpy from allergies and while watching Raising the Bar which I Tivo'd last week. I can't get past the bad haircut to decide if the show is any good. I don't think I will be getting a season pass to this one.